My mother says that she can tell when I am having a great time when...."you are too busy for the internet, facebook, and blogging." This, I have realized is quite true!
Anyways, to catch you up on the last few days of adventure. I'll start with Cambridge....on Saturday, Becs and I went out to Cambridge to explore. It was an absolutely GORGEOUS sunny day!! We forewent the bus and walked into the town centre from the train station. We wandered around for a little bit, had some lunch in a pub, looked in some shops and eventually made our way down to the River Cam. The river runs between several of the colleges that make up Cambridge University - although it is kind of a pathetic kind of river...sorry Cambridge! It's about 6 feet deep and maybe 20 feet wide at some parts, and it doesn't really flow by itself. Anyways, the thing to do is go "punting" - where these little flat bottom boats are used to
Yesterday Beckie and I arrived at some family friends of hers who live here in London (yay for not paying for the train every day!) They are beautiful people - so friendly and tons of fun! This morning we went to the British Museum and explored old English history. Then, we went to Piccadilly Circus for some lunch and had some DELICIOUS spaghetti! Mmm! And then...drumroll please....we found a Tim Hortons!! So of course, we had to get a doughnut and some tea. The tea was really a tea bag and hot water in a Timmy's cup and the doughnut was probably a day old, but still! Tim Hortons in England!! Who would have thought! We found a few little souveneir shops and explored in those for a little bit. And then something happened that pretty much made my day. Beckie was buying postcards and thought that she was using a 2-pound coin....but it was really a 2-pence coin. Oops! Beckie, I am not laughing AT you, I am laughing WITH you! And now all the rest of you can laugh a-, I mean with, you too!!
From there we headed to Buckingham Palace. It took us about an hour to get there. It would appear that although I am a veritable master of the London Underground system....I really, really suck at the bus system. So we got on the wrong bus from Piccadilly Circus and 2 buses later ended up at Euston Station, which is in the opposite direction from Buckingham Palace. Oops. Anyways, we gave up on the buses at that point and retreated to the dark tunnels of the Underground, where I feel much more comfortable :) Anyways, we got to Buckinham Palace and the wind kicked up a load of rubbish straight into my eyes. About six times. So that sucked. But regardless, we saw the palace (yay) and then walked down to Parliament to see Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. The Jubilee line was all delayed and rubbish so we walked along the river to the next station and came back! Now we're back at Graeme and Jill's about to eat a late dinner of Cottage Pie (aka Shepherd's Pie)and relax. Maybe I'll even have a bath, since you know, it's been 5 months since I've had a proper tub!!
No comments:
Post a Comment