Sunday, March 15, 2009

Take a butchers and bubble at this one!!

Today I was introduced to the most confusing, hilarious, illogical thing I have ever encountered in my entire life - Cockney Rhyming Slang. I'll give you some examples...

  • "Apples and pears" = stairs
  • "Cream crackered" = knackered (exhausted) - this one also makes me want to eat the delicious British delicacy that is CUSTARD CREAMS!!!
  • "Adam and Eve" = believe
  • "Butcher's hook" = look
  • "Frog and toad" = road
  • "Pony and trap" = crap
  • "A la mode" = code
  • "Ruby murray" = curry
  • "Trouble and strife" = wife
  • "Barnet Fair" = hair
  • "Barney Rubble" = trouble
  • "Boat race" = face
  • "Bubble bath" = laugh
  • "Dog and bone" = phone
  • "Jam jar" = car
  • "Pig's ear" = beer
  • "Plates of meet" = feet
  • "Pork pies" = lies
  • "Rose lee" = tea
  • "Skin and blister" = sister
  • "Saucepan lid" = kid
  • "China plate" = mate (friend)
Now, as amusing as these rhyming phrases are, it gets more complicated still...

You don't say "I'm going up the apples and pears" (instead of 'I'm going up the stairs') - you would simply say "I'm going up the apples". Or you'd simply say "Take a butcher's at this!" - meaning "Take a look at this!"

So the word you actually say doesn't even rhyme with the word you mean.

Basically...pick a word that rhymes with another word, then pick a word that goes with the rhyming word, then just say the associated word isntead of the rhyming ones and voila!

...I know. I don't get it either. But it really made for quite a conversation and I learned loads of new phrases tonight! And now you are just as confused and enlightened as I am :) Don't you feel special!

Thank you Christina for introducing me to the fantastic world of Cockney Rhyming Slang and everybody else for helping educate me :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that this slang stuff wasn't really part of your green kool aid dream?
Love Mom

matt said...

BBC radio 5 live have just had a discussion about the origin of the phrase, 'Put up your dukes', meaning to request someone to put up their fists for a fight. This article explains the derivation of the phrase (makes the others look quite obvious!). I can't deny that this slang is rather odd. Melman

Anonymous said...

after i got home from church thst night i looked up cockney rhyming slang aswell. its so weird how often i use some of these phrases without realising.
e.g.
quite telling porkies - quite telling lies (pork/ porky pies - lies)
cream crackered
butchers - look
blister - sister
james blunt - rude word rhyming with blunt
having a barney - having a fight/arguement
(barney rubble - trouble)
nice barnet - nice hair
(barnet fair - hair)
on my jack jones (or on my jack) - on my own
jack jones - alone/own
lemon squeezy - easy
its all gone pete tong - its all gone wrong
tick tock/ dickory dock - clock
titfer - hat
(tit for tat - hat)

Post a Comment