Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 2 in England...

Well, today was my first full day in England. A 2 hour nap after breakfast turned into a solid 8 hours of sleep, so needless to say, I slept most of the day away.
Breakfast was AMAZING though, except for the eggs. At least, I think they were eggs. They certainly didn't taste like them. But the bacon and sausages were more amazing than any I have ever had and I ate 3 pieces of toast - the bread here is AMAZING! It's huge too, like someone cut French bread lengthways (I'm slightly exaggerating).
Anyways, I got up at 4:30 and went out to find an adapter for my laptop and saw some of the town. Hatfield is small (only about a 40 minute walk from one end to the other, or so I've heard, I didn't actually walk it :) It's a quiet little town, but cute. I wish I'd taken my camera on my walk with me. Every street has these cute little signs on the ground (like Piddlewagon Lane) instead of our tall street signs. Oh, and they call streets carriageways or dual-carriageways if there is two lanes for both directions of traffic. It's a little disconcerting seeing all this traffic that is going the "wrong" way, and I think it's going to take me awhile to get used to all the accents. In the Subway that I went into to buy dinner there was a guy from India working there who also goes to the University and he has a perfect British accent. He said he's only been here 2 years. So for those of you who want me to come home with a sexy British accent, there might be hope yet. haha Kidding.
Anyways, I learned many enlightening things today. Here are some of them:
Adapters, which cost $40 in Canada are only £1 here (so a little less than $2)
Dove Shampoo is half the price as in Canada
Herbal Essences is double the price (go figure, and they still have the OLD kind here!)
Asda=Wal-Mart
EXIT=WAY OUT (Maybe Exit Lights should change their name to WAY OUT LIGHTS so as to be relevant in a global market?)
Bathroom=WC or simply TOILETS
They actually SAY "Cheerio" here (I always thought that was a fable)
Subway=Tim Hortons (not really, but they are EVERYWHERE)
lightswitches=upside down
I went looking for a book at the Asda and discovered that the ENTIRE rack had to do with tragedy, child molestation survivor stories, crime and the sort. Depressing.
The Coke is good too! Less sweet and more fizz? I can't really describe it. Maybe it's less fizz and more sweet. It bubbles strangely, but I love it!
My bed is comfy, but my pillows suck. The tea kettle in my room literally sounds like a vacuum cleaner, but only takes about a minute to boil.
It's only about 0 degrees right now here, and I was plenty warm walking around while everyone else was shivering. Suckers.
Anyways, don't really have any funny stories today, unless you count being taken for American funny (I don't), but there you have it, my first impressions of Hatfield!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kathleen!! Glad you arrieved safely. I look forward to reading your blog and hearing you funny (or just eventful) stories!
God bless
-Kaylin

Post a Comment