Monday, May 23, 2011

The Burning House

Well, I'm home from History Maker and I'm TIRED (more on that later)...

I found a website today called The Burning House and I must admit that I have been utterly fascinated looking at all the pictures and lists of items that people would grab if their house was on fire - everything from the practical to the irreplaceable.  It's making me think about what I would take if my house is on fire...All this said, I'm not too sure if there is anything on this list I would risk my life to find.

Here's my draft list (in order of what I would grab - first the practical, then the irreplaceable)

  1. Purse including my wallet and car keys (for obvious practical reasons)
  2. iPhone (if I'm going to be stuck without pants or shoes, I need to be able to call someone lol)
  3. Bible (I consider this irreplaceable because of all the notes and underlining in it that makes it so special to me)
  4. My journals (which would be a pretty massive armful)
  5. External hard drive (for the pictures and memories)


Thinking about this is making me realize that I need to backup my computer again.  It also makes me realize how few THINGS really matter.  At the end of the day, yeah it would suck to lose my favourite jeans or those amazing heels I rarely wear because I don't want to wreck them.  It would probably make me cry knowing that the box of letters and keepsakes that I have tucked away didn't make it.  And it would be a huge pain going shopping for all the clothes and items that were destroyed.

But at the end of the day, what really matters?  And if everyone gets out safe, isn't that the biggest thing?

Think about it...what would you grab on your way out?  Now post a comment and let me know :)

2 comments:

Anastasia said...

Nice post, Kathleen! I agree with you that the most important thing at the end of the day is that everyone safe and sound. But if I get a chance to grab something, it would probably be:
1) my husband (oh boy.. that one would be heavy)
2) my purse (and whatever junk is in it)
3) hard drive (can't live without all the photos )
4) koopa book (kenny made it for me)
5) whatever will fit in my hands from our display case
6) painting on the cottage

and if i get a cart with all of that, I will grab my house plants too =))))

Anastasia said...

*painting of the cottage

Post a Comment