I'll never forget something that my dad said to me on my 18th birthday in the airport as I was preparing to leave for my first year of university in Alberta. I'm willing to bet he doesn't remember this, but I sure do. I think I always will. This one small statement carried more weight than almost anything I can remember in recent years. My dad had walked me over to the door by security where I would have to leave alone and he gave me a hug goodbye and I saw a tear in his eye (which is precisely when I lost all my grown-up composure and started to cry myself) and he said "Don't forget what your name means. We named you that for a reason."
It's a label that's been on my head since Day 1. I personally really like my name. It's not weird, but it's rare (especially amongst those my age). Although it's not too out-there, I love how unique it is. I have very rarely met anyone with my same name, and even fewer who actually go by their full name.
I've always known as far back as I can remember that my name means "pure". My parents had these name card things framed in the kitchen that had our names, their meanings and a Scripture on them. (Mine was "Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.")
Anyways, my name comes from the Greek word "katharos" which, like I said, means "pure". I love the legacy of the name that my parents gave to me and everything that it holds.
Now, I'm not going to get ahead of myself and pretend that I'm perfect, because I am most definitely not, but I've been thinking a lot about this concept of purity lately. And not just purity in the sense of "don't go have sex with so-and-so" but purity in the sense of what I do, what I say, what I think, who I am. Purity in the sense of holiness and rightness with God.
Because at the end of the day, purity simply boils down to sin (and the absence of it). I love that I am called Holy by God and found righteous in His eyes. I love that God loves me so much that He willingly chooses to overlook my sin and call me Pure.
God has been challenging me so much lately with really cutting out of my mind, speech, and heart everything not of Him. He has been challenging me to take on the mind of Christ and the heart of Heaven, a task which is so much easier said than done, let me tell you! I can tell you right now how hard I find it to control my tongue - not to blurt out the first thing that comes to mind, not to gossip, not to say something mean or criticizing, or even just to keep my speech Godly. Seriously, could anything be more difficult? I doubt it... but I am trying! There are some people in my life who I respect so much for their Godly speech and I long for that! But I know that it starts in the heart. It starts with a revolution of attitude and a complete transformation in thought. It starts with allowing Christ to uproot everything that is not planted in Him and allowing Him to strip away everything that would tangle us up and tear us down.
There is so much weight in speaking certain things over people. We all know how painful it can be to be called names or verbally torn down. And likewise, we also know how beautiful it when someone speaks something so truthful and lifegiving over/into your life. I've been trying to really focus on that identity of purity in Christ - when I heard God call my name, I want to recognize that as a truth being spoken over me. Pure. Love it! And it's not just for me, which is the good news for you :)
1 comment:
So proud of you Kathleen and how wonderful of you to honor your parents the way you do. Parenting is difficult at the best of times and we fight with feelings of did we do too much or not enough. Knowing you from your youth to know is awesome. You have grown into such a wonderful person who is very thoughtful and honest. I love you.
Post a Comment