Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lights will guide you home

Tangled.  Seriously, even though I generally don't really like animated movies, this is one of my favourite movies and I cry EVERY time I watch it!  I'm not sure entirely what it is.  I think a big part of it is that Rapunzel knows deep in her heart that something is missing, that the lights she sees far in the distance mean something deep inside of her, that for some reason the life she has been living is not all she was created for.




Stolen as a baby, she has lived her entire life trapped in a tall tower, bound up by lies, convinced that "love" is what keeps her there, held captive by fear and anxiety.  Sound familiar?

Still, she longs so desperately to see these lanterns that appear every year on her birthday.  So, with a fair amount of wit and song, she sets out on a treacherous journey with her very own bad@$$ Prince Charming to see the floating lanterns up close.  Of course, what she doesn't realize yet is that these lights are tugging her back to her birthplace, back to the truth of her royal identity, back to the place where her future waits for her.

Lights will guide you home and ignite your bones. (Coldplay)


In my Beth Moore Bible study this week (those of you who know me, know how dearly I love this woman's studies.  Currently I'm doing The Patriarchs and it's rocking my world, as per usual!) she mentioned a verse from Ecclesiastes 3:11: "Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time.  He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end." (NLT)

I love that thought of Eternity being planted in my heart.  Like a seed planted in a field, maybe forgotten for a time, but sprouting out at long last.  It is that something inside of my fallible body that yearns for something much greater and longer lasting than temporary life and love.  The taste of what is to come, yet not yet understood fully.  The promise of what will one day be revealed.


I think this is so much of what drives me forward, this thing that captivates my heart and keeps me pursuing God - there is Eternity planted deep in my heart and nothing this world can offer will satisfy me.

I'm about You and You are for me.  And I want You more than life itself, over the powers of Heaven or Hell, more than anyone else. (Zerbin)

No comments:

Post a Comment