Thursday, October 20, 2011

This is your life

There's a quote from Fight Club that I love: "This is your life and it's ending one moment at a time."  (I actually took this picture in the London Underground - great right?!)

Anyways, I've been thinking a lot lately about that phrase "this is your life."  A few weeks ago, I kid you not, I was trying on shoes and lamenting how large my feet are and how all the cute shoes are for small-feeted people.  And I had this thought "well, maybe next time around I'll have smaller feet."  Instantly, I caught myself and laughed. There is no next time around (unless you believe in re-incarnation, which I do not).  This is my life and my feet are here to stay.  Size 10 and all.

But that phrase has stuck with me.  It keeps resonating in me.  That 20-something single mom and her child that needs surgery, that middle-aged professional with cancer, the teenager with doubts and fears over what happens after high school...  This is your life.

Things happen to us, around us, because of us.  We are all making our way through this life, without a user's manual, navigating through the unknown territory, experiencing surprises around every corner.

Did I ever think that my life at 23 would look anything like this?  Never.  And that is not a bad thing.  I love where I am.  But I am also painfully conscious that this is not where I want to stay forever.  I have dreams and plans and hopes and desires.  I have absolutely no idea what comes next.  I am ok with that now.

I realized recently that God very rarely tells me straight up "do this" or "go there".  He is simply quietly revealing more and more of who He is to me.  As I come to know Him more, I come to understand myself better in the context of His heart for this world.  And knowing His heart, how can I choose to go my own way?  So now I do not ask God to tell me where to go.  I ask Him to show me His heart and open the doors ahead of me.  But mostly, it's as simple as asking Him to give me eyes that recognize His hand when it moves in my life and a heart that is willing to move when He asks me to move.

This is my life, all the good, the bad and the ugly.  These are my memories - the happy and hilarious and sad.  This is my family.  These are my friends.  This is my world.  What's done is done and there are no do-overs.  I love my life, but I am brought up short by the realization that I do not want to let my life slip away from me.  I do not want to look back one day and regret all the things that I did not do.

This is your life, this is your future, your time.  What will you spend your life on?

Be here now.  Be intentional.  Leave the things that hold you back behind you.  Let it fade as you come alive in this new reality of new life.

Be here.  This is your life.  Live it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wheres the like button?????

Post a Comment