"Now we should live when the pulse of life is strong. Life is a tenuous thing...fragile, fleeting. Don't wait for tomorrow. Be here now! Be here now! Be here now!"
Saturday, January 29, 2011
Barefoot, Beautiful Moments
I love being barefoot. Truly, I do. Socks are my nemesis and shoes make my feet feel like crying. Not in a pain way, but in a "my toes hate being contained way". Flip flops are my friend, and comfy boots are my saviour.
There is something about being barefoot that makes me feel free.
I am having a beautiful moment right now. I had a wonderful few hours to myself this afternoon of cuddling up in my bed and dozing. Of course, thanks to that, now I am wide awake at 10:30 at night. So I am sitting on my bed, barefoot, in my comfy PJs and hoody (the hoody is actually Kim's), listening to beautiful music (find it here), I just painted my nails black (I don't know why, but I love black nails), our friends just showed up with hot pizza (Hawaiian!), and now I get to update my blog (this thing) and spend some time journalling and reading my Bibilia (beautiful!).
Seriously though, do you ever have a beautiful moment where you wish you could just capture that feeling and bottle it up to save for later? That special something that you can't quite describe...all wrapped up in soft light from the lamp, soft pillows, beautiful music, bare feet....it all combines into something so deliciously wonderful!
I don't know why I just thought of this, but I remember a trip I took out to Tofino once with one of the most beautiful people I know, my dear friend Beckie. It was such a great day. We talked our faces off and listened to Steven Kellogg and the Sixers all the away around those terrible bends in the road. We danced on the empty beach (or rather, Beckie did), laid in the sun and read and napped and videotaped the clouds moving across the sky. We froze our toes off in the Pacific Ocean and ate delicious soup at Shelter. I remember this one moment where Beckie was sound asleep beside me all bundled up in a blanket. And I was lying there on this warm sand with my hood pulled up over my head to protect against the wind that rolls across the beach, looking up at the clouds that were literally racing across the sky and I felt something come together in my heart I don't know how else to explain it, honestly. It was the beginning of something mending that had been long broken.
That whole day was a string of beautiful moments of healing for me. God spoke something so deep into my heart that day. I remember feeling so frantic and so confused, so panicked, and God reached down and used that day in Tofino to plant some seeds deep in my heart. Seeds that I am slowly starting to see grow and blossom and turn into something wonderful. Seeds of trust, and hope, and faith in my Father. A faith that is slowly growing and growing stronger each and every day. A hope that is not based on something that I see, but rather something that I know. Make that, Someone that I know.
It is moments like these that make me so grateful to be alive. So thankful to be placed on this earth. It's moments like these where I feel my heart swell and my soul expand. It's the simple things, you know. Of course, there is something about witnessing something grand, but for me, it's these moments of lying barefoot on the beach watching the clouds, sitting barefoot on my bed in the warm light of my lamp, sitting barefoot in the hall of my dorm talking to friends from home, standing barefoot in the street in the rain.... (but those are whole nother stories for another day)...these moments make me feel so gloriously FREE!
Now I'm just repeating myself. But I told you, didn't I? It's all about being barefoot! Ah, freedom.
This kid makes me go want to strip off my shoes and run through the waves, even though it's winter and freezing cold.
Labels:
Diving Deeper


No comments:
Post a Comment