Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Praha

Hello my beautiful friends!

I am here in Prague now - it's gorgeous and sunny as all get out!  Seriously - I'm wearing shorts and a tank top right now (21 degrees baby!).  Michael and Jacqueline took Lisa and I on a beautiful walk last night in the evening across the river and through the town.  We had the most amazing "Creamy Dreamy" gelato/ice cream I've ever tasted.  Truly, it was amazing.  I might just have to go there every day :D  We also saw a statue of Jan Huss, one of the leaders of the Reformation who was burned at the stake here in Prague.

Anyways, this morning we went up to the castle, so that was pretty sweet.  We saw the changing of the guard - I would really like to know the reasoning and history behind all the ceremonialness (is that a word?) of it.  Kind of interesting (I think I say "interesting" too much, but it's true - I am so interested in everything!  haha)

We went to St. Vitus' Cathedral up there too.  Apparently the architect who designed it thought that he had made a mistake and it was going to fall down, so instead of risking torture by the king he jumped off the top of it and killed himself.  Turns out it's still standing hundreds of years later.  Poor guy.

Also saw some massive stone babies today; that was...interesting.  And a monument to the victims of communism (which ended here in...wait while I wikipedia it....1989 around the same time as many of the other Eastern European countries) which is several stone figures on steps, with increasingly less limbs, etc. as the stairs climb - check out Facebook later, I'll post a picture.

I am so interested in general here.  It is a completely new experience being in a country where I really have no idea whatsoever what is being said - at least in France I had a little French background, here it is all Greek to me.  Still, many of the root words of things bear some resemblance to English (or French) so as I am walking I sometimes see signs where I can figure out what they are saying.

Anyways, I think it's time to rest my brain, more later.  Love and miss you all!
K

No comments:

Post a Comment